Hi Wendy

Thanks for the plug! The aim was to include all published sheets the BGS has produced except the 1:10,560 maps. There are a few stragglers, specific editions that we have not been able to find and we keep finding some new hand coloured variants which we also need to add! Regarding index sheets, there is usually a link in the ‘See also’ nav box – top right of the screen – its not too prominent – so I’ll see if we can do something about it!

Bob

From: Wendy Cawthorne [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 19 February 2015 13:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: British Geological Survey Maps Portal

Dear all

I thought I would share this site with you since it does not seem to be widely known.  Most people discover their Geology of Britain interactive map http://www.bgs.ac.uk/data/mapViewers/ , but the detail is not marvellous.

However at http://www.bgs.ac.uk/data/maps/home.html you will find their Maps Portal, which has virtually ALL their maps as view-only sheets (with links to purchase or download) .  Historic as well as current maps are there.  You need to know the sheet number if you are looking for a 1” / 1:50,000 map, though, but you can find this either by searching the Bookshop http://shop.bgs.ac.uk/Bookshop/ or referring to the index sheet http://shop.bgs.ac.uk/Bookshop/mapIndex.cfm .  We find it a great resource!

Both Map Portal and Index Sheets are linked on the Bookshop’s page.

Wendy

Wendy Cawthorne

Assistant Librarian

Email:    [log in to unmask]

Tel:         +44 (0)20 7432 0999; +44 (0)20 7432 0997 (Direct)

Fax:        +44 (0)20 7439 3470

Web:     www.geolsoc.org.uk

The Geological Society

Burlington House

Piccadilly

London

W1J 0BG

Discover William Smith in the Bookshop http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/smithBSmapsale

Visit the Picture library http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/PictureLibrary

This email is confidential and is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you have received it in error, please do not reproduce or disseminate the contents of this message; please contact us by return email, or by telephone on +44 (0)20 7434 9944, and delete this message and any copies of it from your computer systems. The Society does not accept liability for individuals' opinions, advice or views expressed in this email. The Geological Society of London is a registered charity, number 210161, registered address Burlington House, Piccadilly, London, W1J 0BG.

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk