Dear All,

German film fans might be interested in a screening of Fassbinder's Querelle (1982) this Wednesday at 6pm at Filmhouse, Edinburgh as part of the Introduction to European Cinema season I curate: http://www.filmhousecinema.com/showing/querelle-jan15/

For those interested in LGBTQ cinema generally, I will be discussing My Beautiful Laundrette (Frears, 1985) at Eden Court, Inverness on 15 February as part of LGBT History Month: https://www.eden-court.co.uk/whats-on/shows/my-beautiful-laundrette

Best,

Leanne

Dr Leanne Dawson

Lecturer in German and Film Studies

Edge of Words Project Coordinator

University of Edinburgh

LGBT History Month Scotland - My Beautiful Laundrette | What's On | Eden Court
Omar (Gordon Warneke) is a young Pakistani man living in London in the mid-80s who is tasked by his entrepreneur uncle with managing a run-down laundrette. He bumps into old friend and fascist gang member, Johnny (Daniel Day-Lewis), and gives him the ...

Querelle - Filmhouse Cinema Edinburgh
Rainer Werner Fassbinder's final film is an adaptation of Jean Genet's infamous novel 'Querelle de Brest'. Querelle is a sailor on shore leave. Following an argument, in which he stabs and kills his drug-smuggling partner, he seeks shelter in a nearby brothel. There he befriends the predatory madam, Lysiane, who leads him into his first homosexual encounter. From then on Querelle embarks upon a voyage of highly charged and sometimes violent sexual self-discovery that will transform him forever. Share Tweet