My two penneth worth here:

We use Eventbrite for the majority of our talks, talkshops, walks and walkshops - these attract up to 40 participants - so we are not handling huge numbers with different discounted tickets etc.

We also use Survey Monkey, espcially when trying to get local authority participants to come to an event as many of them are not allowed to go to pay for event without generating a procurement order.  Survey Monkey in this case is free, but of course there is the added hassle of generating an invoice and all the rest of the problems associaed with getting money out of a local authority.  Here's an example: http://www.museumofwalking.org.uk/?page_id=217

We have purchased tickets through a number of other booking facilities, but haven't as yet tried them ourselves, including brown paper ticket, ticket master and we got tickets.

Some of our paticipants balk at purchasing a ticket through Eventbrite because they have to pay a booking fee (there is an option for us to absorb that cost - but most of the time we can't afford to).  As it is we have to pay a fee on every ticket sold as well anyway, whether we absorb the fee to the purchaser or not.  This proves to be a little tricky when it comes to refunding tickets, as if you refund the whole price, you need to ask yourself should that include the booking fee.  You need a clear policy on what you might do about ticket refunds.

We often suggest that if you book on-line rather than purchase on the day (in cash) you get a discounted ticket.  We are now attracting sponsors for some of our events, and Eventbrite has an option of creating a number of different tickets.

Be careful using Eventbrite for free events, for although it doesn't cost you anything, it can confuse the 'purchaser', and if asking for a donation, there is a hitch as it appears that you can only order 1 ticket at a time for your donation - i.e. if you wanted to book 4 tickets Eventrbrite expects you to make 4 donations.

All this takes time, and we would like to get to a point where we could embed Eventbrite into our WordPress site but we haven't the wit or the where with all to do this yet - any help appreciated.

We used to have an on-line booking form on our Rethinking Cities site - it all wnet really well until one day we got hit by spammers 600k e mails in one hour was enough to make us take it down.  It worked well and of course enabled us to automatically gather information about the people booking tickets.  Things went a little awry when we tried to add PayPal into the process, i.e. to start charging for tickets, and the time (and heartache) was such that we decided to run with Eventbrite as it takes a lot of the hassle out.  However, we now have limits on the information we can gather on purchasers and have to manually transfer things Eventbrite to our marketing databse.  Hence why I posted an enquiry about MailChimp recently.

Hope this helps - best, Andrew