Hi all,

A little bit of a tangent to the main discussions on this list, as I’m trying to support our team of Student Ambassadors who work at our university campus events.

Does anyone have any info or good practice around training staff to provide proactive customer service to visitors, perhaps at your museum, heritage or education site? How do you motivate your team to stay perky and helpful? I’m looking to run a short activity with the group to give them a boost in this area. Further context below.

Many thanks for reading on, if of interest, and for replying with any responses off-list.

Best wishes, Nancy

We’re trying to run a briefing/ training session for Student Ambassadors in advance of our next few busy weeks- we host visit days for outreach and recruitment purposes, which can involve students and their parents looking around the uni they have applied to, meeting departments, taster activities etc.

The Student Ambassadors support are really very good at this, but we are looking to try and encourage them to be even more proactive and openly helpful with visitors on the day, particularly for those working in roles that can be less active at less busy times. E.g. meeting and greeting at the doors, registering their attendance, acting as human signposts etc.

Any suggestions for little activities we can do at a training session that can boost their ability to stay engaged and lively during the day would be welcomed. I think they may be starting to tune out the word ‘proactive’ when they hear us say it these days…

Nancy Bentley

Arts & Social Sciences Outreach Officer

Student Recruitment & Partnerships

Royal Holloway, University of London