I think the key word in Annette's question us "projects" as there are
many examples of successful interpretation in churches, cathedrals etc,
but information regarding the process through which the outcomes were
achieved is harder to find.

A good starting point is the The Churches Visitor & Tourism Association
web site

http://www.churchestourismassociation.info/

One specific project of which I have knowledge is Angels and Pinnacles

http://angelsandpinnacles.org.uk/

York University's Centre for Christianity and Culture  have also done a
lot of work in this area:

http://www.christianityandculture.org.uk/

Those three web sites should provide you with enough links to answer
most of the questions you might have.

Regards

Nick
Coordinator Diocese of Chelmsford Heritage Tourism and Pilgrimage Network