Hi Anderson,

Just a couple of (hopefully) final queries:

"Another point to consider is that polynomial fits as these are better with continuous data. Given that the 5 levels are, for practical means as it seems, categorical, and it appears you don't know which is larger than which, perhaps a better solution is to drop the idea of U- and N-shapes altogether, and use instead the model that tests for any difference among the 5 levels using a conventional F-test.”

In my case, the 5 levels increase systematically and I expect BOLD response to vary in different brain regions in relation to this increase. I am particularly interested in finding where response peaks in the middle of the continuum (i.e., Level 3). Following an F-test comparing the means of all 5 levels, what post-hoc tests/contrast would be appropriate to identify this?

Also, I have run an analysis modelling  individual differences in the contrasts as you suggested ([IQsubj1 IQsubj2 IQsubj3 ... IQsubj22 IQsubj23 IQsubj24 0 ... 0]’). I get get very high Z-MAX values (up to 14). Is this worrying/normal?

"Just in case, remember to pay attention to the exchangeability blocks when running this in randomise. Some contrasts require whole-block exchangeability, others within-block (the last under some assumptions about compound symmetry).”

I was not sure if I needed to use <randomise> or if the cluster corrected images (z threshold: 2.3) were acceptable?

If randomise is needed:
Would changing the <group> column in the GLM to the following do the trick? 1 2 3 … 24 1 2 3 …24 1 2 3 … 24 1 2 3 … 24 1 2 3 … 24
For 5 levels and 24 participants what would be an acceptable total number of permutations?
What would the input image be?
Does this call look alright for my model? $ randomise -i 4D_input_data -o TwoSampT -d design.mat -t design.con -f design.fts -m mask -e design.grp -T

Many thanks,
Christophe

Hi Chris,

Please, see below: