Hi Salil,

As Matteo said, the mean diffusivity "_MD.nii.gz" file is what you are looking for here.

Best,
Mike

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 7:41 AM, Salil Soman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your email. This looks great. Is there a way to compute the corresponding adc map (to help sort out the shine through)? I have a bunch of acquisitions where the isotropic images are distorted and am hoping to generate isotropic images from dti acquisitions that can benefit from eddy_correct while showing the same acute infarcts as the isotropic images, but at higher resolution / better spatial fidelity.

Thanks!

-Salil

Date:    Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:32:41 -0500

From:    Michael Dwyer <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Possible to output the trace image from FSL processing for DTI

Hi Salil,

The trace image is not used much quantitatively because it confounds T2
effects with diffusion effects ("T2 shine-through"). That being said, it
can still be very useful for picking out early ischemia with restricted
diffusion.

As far as I know, it is not a direct output from dtifit or other FSL tools.
However, you can compute it yourself pretty easily. The trace image is just
the geometric mean (not arithmetic mean) of the individual DWI-weighted
direction images (without the b0 image included).

trace = (bimg_1 * bimg_2 * bimg_3 * ... * bimg_n) ^ (1/n)

Because there are a lot of images, you will likely run into floating point
numerical issues if you try to calculate it like that, though. However, you
can also calculate it as the exponential of the average of the logarithms
of the individual images. You can do this using fslmaths as follows:

First, put together all your non-b0 images. Assuming the b0s are at the
beginning, you can do:

> fslroi dwi_series dwi_nonb0 5 -1

If they aren't at the beginning, you'll have to take them out more manually
and splice things back together.

Then take the logarithm:

> fslmaths dwi_nonb0 -log dwi_nonb0_log

Then average:

> fslmaths dwi_non_b0_log -Tmean dwi_non_b0_log_mean

Then exponentiate:

> fslmaths dwi_non_b0_log_mean -exp trace

You can do the last three steps in one line if you like:

fslmaths dwi_nonb0 -log -Tmean -exp trace

Hope this helps!

Best,
Mike

--
Michael G. Dwyer, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Neurology and Biomedical Informatics