*** Apologies for cross-posting ***

Dear colleague,

We would like to draw your attention to the call for papers for the  13th Annual ESPAnet Conference to be held in Odense, at the University of Southern Denmark, 3-5 September 2015, and in particular, Stream 22 on

"The lost and new worlds of welfare: Structural changes and institutional responses"

 A non-exhaustive list of questions that papers in this stream might address includes:
  • Which path dependencies will be important for future welfare states and where or in which ways will we see new path-breaking trajectories?
  • Which will be the "new social risks 2.0"?
  • To what extent do the old welfare models provide protection against emerging risks? Which type of model is best equipped to address new demands on welfare states?
  • Around which solidarities will we build future welfare states?
As this list suggests, we encourage papers to be forward-looking and ask which new social risks are likely to emerge and how these will interact with previously or still existing welfare models and provisions. For instance, two candidates are  migration and climate change. The former does not only put questions of welfare chauvinism on the agenda. It also enhances the need to coordinate social protection systems internationally and the need to address questions of portability of social rights and define legal criteria is increasing. Climate change creates altered and even new vulnerabilities, social injustices and risk insurance needs.

We invite both theoretical and empirical papers that can  inspire our thinking on the issues indicated above. Single-country studies are welcome but should reflect on how the chosen case relates to a broader universe or class of cases.

The call for papers for this stream can be found here: http://www.sdu.dk/en/Om_SDU/Institutter_centre/C_Velfaerd/ESPAnet2015/Streams/22

The deadline for abstract submission is 10 March 2015. Abstracts should be sent by e-mail (as word or pdf attachment) to [log in to unmask].

Hope to see you in Odense!

Best regards

Mi Ah Schoyen and Bjorn Hvinden
NOVA-HIOA, Oslo