Hi Peter,

I don't have access to the paper from here, but the abstract implies that the H+ is attached to a cysteine sulphur. In that case it have the shared electrons to scatter X-rays. The text "a proton (H+) attached to the sulphur of a cysteine ligand" is not very pretty. I would call it a hydrogen atom in this context, or I would at least leave out the '(H+)'. Perhaps the full paper is clearer.

Cheers,
Robbie