Dear Mark,

I see what you mean, I already had in my material this kind of coryllus
avellana, but here it is different, the fruits are much smaller, more or
less cylindric, with very regular ribs. As for Thesium,  I don't know
because I don't have them in my collection and in atlas there are shown
with the perianth on. I'll have to check.
Anyway it seems unlikely, because in the flora of north-eastern France,
all Thesium grow on dry lawns, meanwhile the well is located in a woody
and humid place (as shown by the waterlogged remains).
Thank you very much for all your suggestions, in any case  it always
helps going forward !
Kind regards, Françoise