From : [log in to unmask]
Date : 18/02/2015 - 19:04 (GMTST)
To : [log in to unmask]
Subject : multiple regression method sensitivity

multiple regression method sensitivity Stepwise regression is generally not recommended for multiple regression.
Best subset is generally recommended instead? [sorry reference not to hand, wold appreciate suggestions]

So being an empiricist I tried both methods on 52 sets of data with 21 potential predictors.
I was surprised by results. There was a BIG difference in which method was most sensitive in terms of identifying predictors significant at 95% level.
Most sensitive method identified a mean of 6 predictors, min=3, max =10
Least sensitive method identified a mean of 4.25 predictors, min=2, max = 7

Care to guess which method was most sensitive and explain why?

Professor Diana Kornbrot
email: : [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
web:    http://dianakornbrot.wordpress.com/
            http://go.herts.ac.uk/diana_kornbrot
Work
Department of Psychology
School of Life and Medical Sciences
University of Hertfordshire
College Lane, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL10 9AB, UK
voice:   +44 (0) 170 728 4626
19 Elmhurst Avenue
London N2 0LT, UK
voice:   +44 (0) 208  444 2081