Hi All,

I took quick look at the starlink documents that aren't linked to a
specific package (e.g. living in starlink/docs/ etc in the source code
tree). I think quite a lot of them are now obsolete or of historical
interest only, and I'd like to move them in to the
starlink/docs/obsolete section so we don't have to bother building them
anymore.

I've gone through everything that is in the starlink/docs/ source code
directory, and categorized them as KEEP or OBSOLETE below.
Please let me know if you think any of these should really be kept (or
any that should be obsoleted).

It would be helpful if you'd volunteer to ensure the doc is up-to-date
if you think it should be kept.

SUNS TO KEEP:
----------------
sun1: (though rather out of date in places)
sun101: Introduction to ADAM Programming
sun202: Starlink Subroutine Libraries: A Guide for Program Development
and Linking
sun249: INT-WFC - Astrometric Calibration for the INT Wide Field Camera
sun243: SPLAT documentation (should this be located with the SPLAT
source? Also has not been built at JAC)

sun248: Building Starlink Software (this doc doesn't build at the JAC).

SUNS TO OBSOLETE:
------------------

1) Out of date documentation for standard unix/linux software that was
not created by starlink. Most of these are partly/mostly about the
mechanics of running the software on the computing systems provided by
the starlink project, or just notes to let the starlink community know
that the software is now available to them.
***********************

sun9: LaTeX --- A Document Preparation System
sun34: GNU EMACS --- Display Editor
sun63: SPAG is a program for unscrambling `spaghetti' Fortran code.
sun73: FORCHECK A Fortran Verifier and Programming Aid<
sun107: MAPLE: Mathematical Manipulation Language Maple V release 4
User's Guide
sun145: UNIX An Introduction
sun168: EDT mode for JED An advanced Unix text editor Version 2.0
(Malcolm says he uses this doc, but we don't actually appear to be
shipping any of the associated software.)

sun169: PINE -- Electronic mail interface
sun170: Editors on UNIX
sun172: FTNCHEK A Fortran77 Source-code Checker
sun189: ISPELL - Spelling Checker
sun192: nu/TPU -- A DEC TPU compatible editor for UNIX
sun197: GHOSTSCRIPT - PostScript Interpreter/previewer
sun201:LATEX2HTML LATEX to HTML converter
(currently we are still building this software, although hopefully not
for too long)

Out of date astronomy guides that I think are probably of historical
interest only (mostly to software we don't ship or have already moved to
obsolete):
******************************

sun20: ULDA/USSP — Accessing the IUE Uniform Low-Dispersion Archive
sun30: Using the Starlink Database MicroVAX computer.
sun58: IUEDA --- Access to the IUE data archive
sun82: IRAS — Data Products Primer
sun91: IRAS — Calibrated Raw Detector Data Analysis User Guide
sun119: CHI Catalogue Handling Interface
sun127: The EXOSAT Database System
sun161: IRAS90 Introductory/User Guide to Calibrated Reconstructed
Detector Data Analysis
(should this be in applications/obsolete/iras90 instead of moving to
docs/obsolete ?)

sun162: A Guide to Astronomical Catalogues, Databases and Archives
available through Starlink

sun163: IRAS90 -- IRAS Survey and PO Data Analysis Package
(should this be in applications/obsolete/iras90 instead of moving to
docs/obsolete ?)

sun165: IRAS90 Programmer's Guide
(should this be in applications/obsolete/iras90 instead of moving to
docs/obsolete ?)

sun174: An Astronomer's Guide to On-line Bibliographic Databases and
Information Services

sun205: FORUM -- Starlink Conferencing Software
sun207: AIPS -- Astronomical Image Processing System
sun247: XRT: ROSAT XRT Data Reduction

SGs to KEEP
---------------
sg4: ADAM The Starlink Software Environment
sg6:ADAM Programmer's Facilities & Documentation Guide
?? sg9: Introduction to Echelle Spectroscopy ??

SGs to move to OBSOLETE
------------------------
sg8: An Introduction to Visualisation Software for Astronomy
sg10:  Preparing to Observe
sg12: An Introduction to IRAF

SGPs to KEEP
---------------
sgp4: Starlink C Programming Standard
sgp28:  How to write good documents for Starlink (this is pretty out of
date, but Malcolm wanted to keep it).
sgp31: Starlink Standard Data Structures

SGPs to move to OBSOLETE
---------------------------
sgp1: Procedure for reporting bugs
sgp2: Starlink Software Support Responsibilities
sgp7: Unix and Starlink
sgp12:  AVS as a GUI for ADAM
sgp16: Starlink Application Programming Standard  (States that
everything should be written in Fortran77...)

sgp21: Starlink Software Distribution Policy
sgp25: Starlink Site Manager's Guide
sgp31: STARLINK
sgp41: Local Management Arrangements
sgp42: Starlink Software Strategy
sgp44:  Guidelines for Starlink Software Strategy Groups
sgp45: ADAM Review Panel Report
sgp47: Computer Algebra Software
sgp49: Starlink's Support for PCs
sgp50: Starlink Document Styles
sgp51: Starlink Software Maintenance Procedures
sgp52: Plan for Starlink Software Distribution

SSNs to KEEP
------------
ssn3: The ECH Echelle Spectrograph Model Package (should possibly be
moved into applications/echomop?)

ssn8: Naming Conventions for Accessing Starlink Subroutine Libraries
ssn22: Coordinate Systems for Pixel Arrays
ssn64: ADAM -- Organization of Application Packages
ssn75: Writing Catalogue and Image Servers for GAIA and CURSA (?)
ssn78: The starlink build system
(ssn78 doesn't build at the JAC)

SSNs to OBSOLETE
--------------------
ssn6: The Cipher M990 Tape drive
ssn7: Administering Starlink Sun systems
ssn18: Administering Solaris Sun systems
ssn23:Starlink Benchmarking Utility
ssn24: Notes for Site Managers about TEX and LATEX
ssn26: Configuring, monitoring and tuning SPARC/Solaris systems
ssn27: staradmin -- Starlink User Database Maintainer
ssn30: SYSTUNE Tools for SPARC/Solaris Performance Monitoring and Tuning

ssn31:  A Starlink Guide to Cartridge Tape Subsystems
ssn32: Custom Jumpstart Tutorial
ssn33: Installing Starlink FORUM
ssn36: XpressWare Installation User guide
ssn37: Starlink Security
ssn39: GKS -- Installation and Modification
ssn67: Unix Security Cookbook

SUG:
------
SUG1: The STARLINK USER'S GUIDE