Raheel,

I would think the easiest is to discard the volumes before you do
anything else (I do not even convert them). This will both use a more
representative volume for realignment and avoid the issue with the
non-matching number of volumes in the regressor later-on. The first
volume you keep will then be volume 1.

Cheers,
Marko

zafar raheel wrote:
> I need help regarding the above matter. In SPM during 1st level analysis
> we discard first few slides.
> 1.  When we define onsets [e.g in time (seconds) not in scan], then we
> have to start from beginning e.g. from [0:4:500] or if I am discarding
> first 20 sec data then it will be from [21:4:500}. Which one is right?
>
> 2. In preprocessing, normally we do not discard the initial scans. But
> in DESIGN MATRIX, we are using realignment text file with the
> regressors. Now in realignment file we have information of all the scans
> but in first level analysis we have 10 scans (20 sec data) shorter than
> that.Will it will create problem or not?
>
> In other words, If I am discarding initial scans during first level
> analysis, whether I have to discard scans in preprocessing (realignment)
> as well or not.
>
>     Secondly whether I have to start onset from 0 or from 21 [If I am
> discarding first 20 sec data, means 10 scans (as my TR is 2 sec)]
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
>
> Raheel

PD Dr. med. Marko Wilke
  Facharzt für Kinder- und Jugendmedizin
  Leiter, Experimentelle Pädiatrische Neurobildgebung
  Universitäts-Kinderklinik
  Abt. III (Neuropädiatrie)

Marko Wilke, MD, PhD
  Pediatrician
  Head, Experimental Pediatric Neuroimaging
  University Children's Hospital
  Dept. III (Pediatric Neurology)

Hoppe-Seyler-Str. 1
  D - 72076 Tübingen, Germany