This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. -------------------------------

Hello,

I’m trying to scope some examples from museums of the amount of on-site storage/preparation area available to support a temporary exhibition programme.

We’re in the planning stage of a major redevelopment which will include a large amount of changing temporary displays and I’d like some case studies of how much space other museums have on site behind the scenes (for storing kit when it’s not being used/preparing objects for display etc) and how effective it is.

If you’ve been through a redevelopment which includes some changing exhibition space and storage for exhibition preparation/kit, I’d be really interested to hear from you. An idea of the rough sizes of the rooms (big, small, tiny) as well as what sorts of things you store would be really useful. What works well? What do you wish you had more space for?

Responses welcome both on and off list (if you’d rather reply confidentially, please don’t just hit reply – it will send the message to the whole list. Instead email me at [log in to unmask])

Many thanks in advance,

Catherine

Catherine Newley

Curator of Collections (Post Medieval to Contemporary)

Museum of St Albans | Hatfield Road | St Albans | AL1 3RR
Telephone: 01727 819580 or Mobile: 07789 615001

www.stalbansmuseums.org.uk

Support renaissance: St Albans, the £6.75m project to create a new museum and art gallery in the heart of the City at the Grade II * listed Town Hall. The new visitor attraction will tell the story of St Albans’ history, spanning more than 2,000 years; showcase cutting edge art and set the city centre buzzing.

St Albans Museum and Galleries Trust is working with St Albans City and District Council to raise £1.7m to make this exciting project happen.

We need your help. Get involved with renaissance: St Albans now: donate, volunteer, run a fundraising activity.Find out more at: www.renaissancestalbans.org.uk or by calling 01727 751830.

renaissance: St Albans is supported by the National Lottery through the Heritage Lottery Fund.

****Disclaimer****

The information in this message should be regarded as Private and is
intended for the addressee only unless explicitly stated.
If you have received this message in error it must be deleted and the sender
notified.
The views expressed in this message are personal and not necessarily
those of St Albans City and District Council unless explicitly stated.
Please be aware that emails sent to or received from St Albans City and
District Council may be intercepted and read by the council.
Interception will only occur to ensure compliance with council policies or
procedures or regulatory obligations, to prevent or deter crime, or for the
purposes of essential maintenance or support of the email system.

Please note that the Council does not accept service by e-mail

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST