> On 5 Jan 2015, at 21:53, Anna Clements <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

> What is the situation wrt ownership of research data collected by PhD students?
>
> Given students aren't employees then are they still covered by an IPR policy that states employer (i.e. University) owns the data collected (although they may choose to waive these rights as in the case for journal articles, for example).

I think it depends on the individual university whether the student has to  hand over IPR on student data to the university.

My own institution

 " claims ownership of all intellectual property specified in section 6 of this statute which is devised, made, or created:

(a) by persons employed by the University in the course of their employment;

(b) by student members in the course of or incidentally to their studies;
…
”

http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/statutes/790-121.shtml

--