Libby, yes I agree with your point that RDM-related studies that are funded as research ought to be following the good research practice advice we dish out to researchers. I don't think that being rigorous as a practitioner necessarily means being rigorous in the same way as a researcher, but the 'eat your own dogfood' principle is a good one and I agree we don't always follow it as much as we would like. In that old Scots saying 'cobbler's bairns are aye the worst shod' - the cobbler's kids have the worst shoes!

Some form of RDM related repository might be a good idea, though we can also use general purpose repositories, and those of our institutions. To answer Ben's question in DCC's case we use the Edinburgh, Glasgow and Bath IR's for publication outputs, (though not consistently) and the DCC website is archived. For the DCC's 2014 survey of UK institutional RDM service development we deposited the data and reports etc in Zenodo (here), and we could have used others like Figshare of course.

I can see a good case for RDM repositories to serve specific practitioner needs. For example in the case of Data Asset Framework studies of researchers' data management practices and support requirements, we have an idea proposed in Jisc's current Research Data Spring programme for a Question Bank repository. That's aiming to meet practitioner needs for support in identifying questions, questionnaires, interviews, reports and related material that others have found useful, which they can reuse locally in interactions with researchers. I know similar ideas are being explored for Data Curation Profiles in an IMLS project we're in touch with.

best wishes,

Angus