there were lots of learned societies in and around the Age of Enlightenment, Lucy - and not just in London
don't forget the Lunar Society in Birmingham
there's a link to Wikipedia here about their origins and to each of the founding members
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Society_of_Birmingham

and in Nottingham the work of mathematician George Green is worth following
he started life as a miller - but with the support of the Nottingham Subscription Library he went on to Cambridge (at the age of 40) and produced some ground breaking papers in mathematics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Green

sorry a bit of a tangent - but some of the names maybe useful
good luck
rick