Dear Ranjan,

Thanks for this very interesting and valuable reply.

If other list members were to offer similar compilations with links, it would be wonderful.

David Brooks’s column deserves a quick comment. Brooks is an op-ed columnist and an author, not a reporter. His role at the New York Times is to raise ideas and discuss issues in politics, culture, and the social sciences. What makes this column significant is that most Times subscribers read the columnists to get an overview of current affairs -- Brooks puts important ideas in front of a wide international audience.

Columnists have only a limited number of words, but they have the free choice of how to use them. Stories with in-depth reporting are assigned by editors. The word count for reported news is much higher than for columns, but this topic would not make front page news — Brooks made it a front page topic.

Like you, I’d welcome an in-depth story, but I was delighted by the column.

There is a place where the editors will welcome an in-depth article — She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation. If someone will put forward an article, we’d be delighted. An article with links and rich information would be even better. If it is too long for a standard journal-length article, we’ll consider publishing it across two issues.

For now, your idea that subscribers might post here is terrific.

Warm wishes,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Elsevier in Cooperation with Tongji University Press | Launching in 2015

Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| University Distinguished Professor | Centre for Design Innovation | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia

> On 2015Jan27, at 16:04, M P Ranjan <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

—snip—

> [...]
>
> Poonam Bir Kasturi (142) (1984-85) (PD)
> Transforming mindsets in Bangalore towards waste and garbage through her Daily Dump design initiative and website. Today home composting in urban homes is taking root in Bangalore and there Daily Dump is accounting for 15,000 kilos of garbage processed each day.
> Shortlisted for the Index Award in 2009
> http://www.dailydump.org <http://www.dailydump.org/>
>
> Anusha Yadhav (621) (1998-99) (GD)
> Indian Memory Project
> The Indian Memory Project is an attempt to trace an history of India, its people, professions, development, traditions, cultures, settlements and cities through pictures found in personal family albums and archives. It was founded in February 2010, by Anusha. Any photographs along with remembered stories and anecdotes from before the Year 1991 are welcome. -
> http://www.indianmemoryproject.com <http://www.indianmemoryproject.com/>
> See more at: http://anushayadav.com/index.php/indianmemoryproject/#sthash.HXlJ0gQc.dpuf <http://anushayadav.com/index.php/indianmemoryproject/#sthash.HXlJ0gQc.dpuf>
>
> Lakshmi Murthy (177) (1985-86) (CD)
> UGAR from Jatan Sansthan
> Lakshmi Murthy is coauthor of the book "Learning from the Field: Experiences in Communication" published by the National Institute of Design for the UNFPA. She is currently enrolled for a PhD at the IDC, IIT Mumbai to undertake research in her subject of Social Communication for womens issues dealing with menstural health in order to strengthen her initiative in the field. She has set up an organisation to promote and deliver low cost solutions for rural women and her hand made UGER sanitary pads are reusable and can be produced locally in small enterprises as a counter to the commercially produced and highly expensive and environmentally polluting options that are on offer today by commercial multinational entities, which in her view are unsustainable and undesirable options
> http://www.jatansansthan.org/uger/about-uger/ <http://www.jatansansthan.org/uger/about-uger/>
>
> Other schools that are now focussed on social innovation and design education
>
> Social Innovation at New York
> Design for Social Innovation MFA course
> http://tinyurl.com/meeykfg <http://tinyurl.com/meeykfg>
>
> Social Innovation and Design Entrepreneurship
> Austin Centre for Design started by Jon Kolko in 2010
> http://www.ac4d.com <http://www.ac4d.com/>
>
> Kaos Pilot, Denmark founded in 1991 by Uffe Elbaek
> http://www.kaospilot.dk <http://www.kaospilot.dk/>
> http://www.kaospilot.dk/history/ <http://www.kaospilot.dk/history/>
>
> School of Design, Ambedkar University, New Delhi
> Social Innovation
> http://tinyurl.com/ocqklwv <http://tinyurl.com/ocqklwv>
>
> I would love to hear from the list about more such efforts and with social media access and crowd funding possibilities there could be many more in the years ahead I am sure.

—snip—