Dear Members,

Please find details below on the Management Science Summer Research Bursaries 2015 from Lancaster University that may be of interest to undergraduate students wishing to take up a research based summer internship.

Best wishes, Chris

Management Science Summer Research Bursaries 2015, Lancaster University

What is a Management Science Bursary?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Research bursaries to support Internships in the Department of Management Science, Lancaster University offer a unique opportunity for undergraduate students to experience and learn about research problems in Management Science, Operational Research, Operations Management and Information Systems and how various challenging problems can be explored. Interns will have the opportunity to develop their own ideas in a topic linked to faculty research interests. Management Science interns will be supported by a bursary of £250 per week.

Where and when will they take place?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The bursary scheme will run for 8 weeks over the summer vacation from 13th July to 4th September 2015. During this time you will engage in research with leading academics from the Department of Management Science at Lancaster University. For details of the department, see http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lums/management-science/ .

Who are they aimed at?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The bursaries are aimed at giving an insight into what a PhD research really like, and are open to students interested in the possibility of undertaking a PhD. Our scheme is aimed at UK and EU students about to enter their final year of undergraduate study, who expect to achieve a 1st class degree - this includes, for example, mathematics, statistics, computing, business studies, physics and engineering. We regret that we cannot consider any applications from non-EU students.

Why consider applying for a bursary?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a management science intern you will be joining other high-calibre undergraduate students studying in the vibrant research environment at Lancaster University supported by a bursary of £250 per week.

Through the bursary scheme, you will:

* Experience how to structure research problems.

* Learn how to apply quantitative and qualitative skills to important practical problems.

* Gain an insight into what it would be like to do a PhD.

* Gain an understanding of whether a research-oriented career is right for you.

Want to know more?

This is the third year the Department has run this scheme, which is modelled on a successful scheme in quantitative statistics and operational research, STOR-i. To gain a flavour of what it is like visit our website at http://www.stor-i.lancs.ac.uk/intern.  Here you can find examples of recent projects plus testimonials and blogs from recent interns on the established STOR-I scheme.

Anyone interested should consult the department’s web pages (http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lums/management-science/research/ ) as to staff’s research interests and should identify the topic(s) they are interested in studying in their covering letter, which should be sent along with your cv to Gay Bentinck ([log in to unmask] ). Closing date Friday, 20th February. Interviews during week beginning 2nd March.

Dr Chris Kirkbride

Director, BSc Business Studies

Department of Management Science

Lancaster University Management School, A69, Lancaster, LA1 4YX  | T: +44 (0)1524 593296