From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Pat Cullum [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 9:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] MEDIEVAL-RELIGION Digest - 28 Jan 2015 to 29 Jan 2015 (#2015-30)

My sense of the situation in England (and I'd like to hear from Maddy about her marrying Welsh clerics) in the C14 and C15 that it was clear that deacons and priests could not marry, but that there was more uncertainty about sub-deacons.Technically they could not marry, but I suspect that in practice not all of them saw themselves as committed to a clerical career.We also ought to remember that these were mostly young men- in their teens and early 20s, and so like their lay peers some of them courted, more or less seriously.

Dr Pat Cullum BA (Hons) DPhil FRHistS, FHEA
School Co-ordinator for Student Experience
School of Music, Humanities and Media
University of Huddersfield
HUDDERSFIELD HD1 3DH
West Yorkshire UK