Wow, It's a bit of a problem if a student at Birkbeck University hadn't found out or been told about the readily accessible HERs all across the country.

Kim Biddulph
Director, Schools Prehistory
www.schoolsprehistory.co.uk

From: Sophie Unger <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, 20 January 2015, 11:46
Subject: Archaeology UK website.

Hi All

We have recently received a heritage statement which instead of including HER information, it included information from a website called: Archaeology UK http://www.digital-documents.co.uk/archi/about_us.htm.

I have never heard of this but there is a subscription to pay for access to the data and it seems to be a little more than information from personal communications and local journals. Have any of you had any experience of this website and where the information comes from?

We are obviously enforcing the consultation of the HER in line with the NPPF but it did seem a little worrying that we seem to have a  type of ‘competitor’ in loose terms and obviously this website is not going to be as up to date as the HER and is not acceptable as a substitute for the HER.

Thoughts?

Sophie
Sophie  Unger MA AIFA
Historic Environment Record Officer
Environmental Advice Team
East Sussex County Council

01273 336378
07554436473

You can now request and pay for HER searches for via our new online system at

This message is intended for the use of the addressee only and may
contain confidential or privileged information. If you have received it in
error please notify the sender and destroy it. You may not use it or copy
it to anyone else.
E-mail is not a secure communications medium. Please be aware of this
when replying. All communications sent to or from the County Council
may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with
relevant legislation.
Although East Sussex County Council has taken steps to ensure that this
e-mail and any attachments are virus free, we can take no responsibility
if a virus is actually present and you are advised to ensure that the
appropriate checks are made.
You can visit our website at http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk