**With apologies for cross-posting**

The Authors and the World research hub, based at Lancaster University,
would like to announce the final programme for our forthcoming event on 12
& 13 March 2015: Discourse on Literary Celebrity across Genres. There are
still a few places available, so if you would like to join us for what
promises to be an excellent event, write to [log in to unmask] to
secure your place.

See below for more details and the full programme or follow this link to
our website: http://www.authorsandtheworld.com/?p=381

*Confirmed speakers:* Mary Talbot (Author), Carol O’Sullivan (Senior
Lecturer in Translation Studies, Bristol), Adrian Wilson (Senior Lecturer
in History of Medicine), Christopher Donaldson (Lecturer in Romanticism,
Birmingham), Ian Gregory (Professor of Digital Humanities)

How does literary celebrity manifest in different genres? To what extent do
authors, and ideas of authorship, translate from one medium to another, and
how do the different genres themselves contribute to a growing discourse
around individual literary celebrities? In this event we look at a graphic
novel, film subtitling techniques and practices in projecting a scientific
academic persona to probe issues of authorship surrounding individuality,
gender, generation, and originality within a multi-genre context. A
practical workshop on using blogs and wikis as source material for literary
research will sustain further reflection on how academic research can
engage with open-ended, non-authoritative genres as part of its own
canonizing activities.

*Programme*

*Venue: Lancaster House Hotel conference centre, Green Lane, Lancaster, LA1
4GJ*

*Thursday 12 March 2015*

12.00-13.00 Registration and buffet lunch

13.00-13.15 Rebecca Braun: Welcome and Introduction

13.15-14.15 Mary Talbot. ‘*Dotters, Babbos and a Costa: Reflections on
Literary Celebrity and Genre Bending’*

14.15-15.00 Carol O’Sullivan. ‘*Not In My Name?: Attribution of Authorship
in Audiovisual Translation’*

15.00-15.45 Refreshments and small group discussions

15.45-16.45 Christopher Donaldson & Ian Gregory. ‘*The Lady of the Lakes:
Harriet Martineau and Victorian Lake District Tourism’*

16.45-17.30 Adrian Wilson. ‘*A literary celebrity on celebrity and amnesia:
Clive James’*

17.30-18.30 Discussion

19.30 Conference dinner in the Private Dining Room

*Friday 13 March 2015*

9.00-12.30 Workshop

*Authors, Celebrity, Distance, and Twitter*

With Greg Myers (Department of Linguistics and English Language)

This workshop will discuss come of the techniques used by well-known
authors (e.g., @MargaretAtwoodon and @tejucole) to construct and engage
with a specific audience on Twitter. It is in three parts:

9:00 – 9:50           Keywords and Retweets: an overview of some stylistic
features of authors on Twitter

10:00 – 10:50      Participant use their own laptops, phones, and tablets
to complete a structured exercise exploring other authors on Twitter.

11:00 – 11:50      Discussion and feedback on the exercise (with our own
list of favourite feeds)

12.30-14.00         Lunch

Close

Emily Spiers