Dear colleague,

We would like to encourage you and your group to contribute to our EGU session where we expect to refresh the relevant debate on oceanic lithosphere and ophiolites world-wide:

Crustal construction processes from the Backarc-Arc to the Forearc and the origin of ophiolites of belts and subduction arcs.

The description and scope is below.

Please remember that the deadline is Wednesday 13:00 Central European Time.

EGU Session TS6.5
Crustal construction processes from the Backarc-Arc to the Forearc and the origin of ophiolites of belts and subduction arcs.
C. R. Ranero, C. Garrido, C. Faccenna, P. Agard.
This session aims at gathering 4 different communities that work on related problems but that typically do not share discussions.

We would like to gather the communities working on:

1) Ophiolites in Alpine-Hymalayan settings.

2) Ophiolites in subduction-related Pacific arcs.
3) Crustal structure in Back-arc, Arc, and Forearc settings of subduction zones.

4) Crustal structure formed at Mid Ocean Ridges.

DEBATE SCOPE
Based on their tectonic history and chemistry the majority of Alpine-Hymalayan Ophiolites are interpreted as formed in a Back-arc to Arc setting, but the origin of some Alpine-Hymalayan Ophiolites in a Mid Ocean Ridge setting is also under debate.

In contrast, ophiolitic complexes found in Pacific arcs are commonly interpreted as created in Arc to Forearc settings, and often related to subduction initiation processes.

In is important to recall that much of what has been learned from ophiolite field studies in the last ~50 years has been widely used to interpret the structure of the oceanic lithosphere flooring most of today’s oceans, and that was formed at oceanic spreading centers, mainly at Mid Ocean Ridges, where in fact most ophioltes may not have been formed.

Interestingly, the comparatively abundant studies of the crustal structure formed at Mid Ocean Ridge have been rarely compared to observations of Back-arc, Arc, and Forearc settings, where most ophiolites were arguably created.

We would like to incite an across-communities discussion of those and related open topics, and encourage contributions that study processes of mountain building (e.g. Alpine-Hymalayan) and/or subduction at arcs (e.g. Pacific arcs) and relate them to models of ophiolite formation.

In addition we encourage presentations that study active processes of oceanic lithosphere creation in Back-arc, Arc, and Forearc systems of subduction zones, as well as crustal accretion at Mid Ocean Ridges before obduction and relate/compare them to the structure of ophiolites.
We also welcome contributions that debate on oceanic lithosphere creation and/or ophiolite formation on any scope, time and space scale that contribute to the currently little explored debate on the contrasting views of the different communities.

Best regards,

Carlos, Claudio, Philipe and César

============================

César R. Ranero
ICREA Research Professor

Head.  Barcelona Center for Subsurface Imaging
Instituto de Ciencias del Mar, CSIC
Pg. Marítim de la Barceloneta 37-49,
08003  Barcelona (Spain)

Ph :  34 932 309 500 (switchboard)
Ph :  34 932 309 619 (direct)
Fax :   34 932 309 555
e-mail :  [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.barcelona-csi.cmima.csic.es <http://www.barcelona-csi.cmima.csic.es/>
www.cmima.csic.es <http://www.barcelona-csi.cmima.csic.es/>

This information is private and confidential and intended for the recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. This communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded as an official statement from ICREA or CSIC. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. Therefore, we do not represent that this information is complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such. All information is subject to change without notice.