For small clusters, eig and mean should be very similar. I haven't seen a reviewer have an issue with using the mean or eig for PPI analyses - and as long as the region is small (see comment below), I wouldn't accept/reject the paper on this choice.

For larger clusters, they can diverge. One issue with eig for larger clusters is the potential that part of the cluster that contains the first eigenvariate is different in different groups leading to potentially comparing different areas across subjects.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Website: http://www.martinos.org/~mclaren