Dear Mihaela,

With 2 T1 images, you can apply SUSAN to both and see if the results are improved. You can either apply before beginning recon-all, then import both (with -i), or average them after coregistering them with FLIRT (see this paper and also this blog post), then apply SUSAN, and only then import with recon-all.

There should be no errors related to image size, but if there are, it worth fixing, no doubt.

All the best,

Anderson

Dear Anderson,

Thank you for your reply. I experimented around with our data. When I use SUSAN, I get better results for one T1 (mostly in the temporal lobes). I wasn't able to average two T1's filtered with SUSAN because FreeSurfer gave me an error (they did not have the same dimensions) but it seems that one T1 filtered with SUSAN does pretty much the same job as two T1's averaged (but without SUSAN).

I'll have to figure out how to get the same dimensions when I run SUSAN for two T1's (same subject) so I can average them in FreeSurfer and then compare the results with non-filtered averaged T1's.

I tried to attach some pictures but my message was rejected due to the email size. So I am sending this again without pictures.

Best,
Mihaela