I am working with a group on a project to develop a quality assessment tool that will allow practitioners to quickly identify trustworthy clinical practice guidelines. The development of this tool is part of an NIH R03 project funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. I would like you to participate in a Delphi processhttp://www.rand.org/pubs/research_memoranda/RM5888.html (there will be 20-25 experts participating). The process and your involvement will be kept confidential.

We have already developed an 8-item checklist based on the AGREE 2 checklist, the recent Institute of Medicine Report, http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2011/Clinical-Practice-Guidelines-We-Can-Trust.aspx and other resources. Your involvement would be to answer four short sets of survey questions to offer your opinion on the suitability and importance of the items to be included in the assessment instrument.  Each round should only take you 10-15 minutes and you will only be emailed once every 2 weeks.

1.      For the first round, we will ask you to complete an online survey regarding the suitability of the eight items we already have identified, and we will ask you for alternative wording and to suggest additional items.
2.       For the second round, we will present the edited list of items (based on results from the first round) and ask you to rank order them from least important to most important.
3.       For the third round, we will ask you to assign a relative weight to each item as a means of determining its relative ranking.
4.       For the fourth round you will be asked to determine cutoff scores, based on a score of 0 – 100, for “trustworthy,” “may not be trustworthy,” and “not trustworthy.”
Let me know if you would like to participate and will be able to do all four rounds.

Allen

Allen F. Shaughnessy, Pharm.D., M.Med.Ed.

Professor of Family Medicine

Director, Master Teacher Fellowship

Tufts University Family Medicine Residency

At Cambridge Health Alliance

195 Canal Street

Malden, MA 02148

Telephone: 781-338-0550