Dear All,

I trust the attached picture of the JAMA series entitled: "The rational clinical examination - Evidence-based clinical diagnosis" from Simel & Rennie may be known to some of the list-subscribers.

For those of you, who don't know it: The compiled series addresses a good 50 clinical findings/disorders that may be encountered on a "daily" basis, and aims to summarize the available evidence on the clinical examination that may lead to or support the corresponding diagnosis.

As an example of it's content please find an excerpt regarding the "validity" of the clinical finding "hepatomegaly" below.

Personally, I've found this book phenomenal for challenging my own clinical examination, but also for being more sensitive to certain symptoms, which may have a much higher sensitivity / specificity than initially anticipated.

The book can be purchased via Amazon here.

I have no COIs or vested interests in this book or any proceedings that may result from it. I'm simply a fan of the book as I find it so great, that in an era of trusting completely on CTs, MRIs, Echo's etc, we can find someone who's taken the time to try and find the evidence for using your hands, stethoscope and brain.

Kind regards,

Oliver Fisher, M.D.