Hi Catherine,

We considered similar things for a commercial client of ours, and sought
legal advice.

In as much as we discovered (and we didn't take the legal advice to a
fine-grained level), the following applies:

   - The Occupational Heath Supplier is the data controller, and in that
   organisation, records should be held under supervision of someone with a
   title like Chief Medical Officer.

   - The records for a particular patient should only be transferred if
   consent has been given by that patient.

   - The consent needs to name the new data controller and any data
   processors, if they are different to the new data controller.

   - Transfer to the new service should be transfer to that service's Chief
   Medical Officer.

   - No records should be transferred to the patients' employer, there is a
   strict requirement for confidentiality.

   - I imagine the safest alternative for the existing supplier is to keep
   copies of all patient records for as long as the statutory requirement,
   even if they have been transferred.

   - The transfer mechanism should be designed carefully, my own standards
   would be for well encrypted electronic data transfer, or, if paper records,
   getting one CMO, possibly with helpers, to personally ferry solidly boxed
   records to another CMO. Others may say a courier service is sufficient for
   paper records. I would tend to avoid that. Receipts of delivery at all
   stages.

   But actually, I don't think your employer should be involved in this
   stage.

Regards
Mark

--
Dr Mark van Harmelen
Director, Hedtek Ltd

phone                  07830 212 464 (international +44 7830 212 464)
skype                   markvanharmelen
web                      http://hedtek.com
developer blog     http://devblog.hedtek.com

Hedtek is a limited company registered in England and Wales, Co Reg No
6300001
5th Floor, 10 Little Lever Street, Manchester M1 1HR