Consider the CCTV cameras in a large department store.  The system might record over 500 hours data every day.

Members of staff will be known to the store owner if they are the Data Controller, but if a third party operates the CCTV, they might not be known to that party.

Customers might well be strangers in the main, but some might be identifiable on sight by members of staff.  Customers who make purchases in store for delivery might be trackable back on the CCTV to the transaction (based on time codes).  So might account customers.

When a customer requests CCTV (say under s7 or s35 - typical for an injury incident) they might move from being unknown (and unknowable) to being a Data Subject ... but what of the instance when they can't recall what they were wearing, and their data therefore cannot be located?  Are they Personal Data or not?

Regards - Michael Bacon
Grimbaldus Limited