Apologies for cross posting

Calling

11-14th June 2015

at the Department of Architecture at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece)

International Open Gathering

UNICONFLICTS in spaces of crisis

Critical approaches in, against and beyond the University

https://uniconflicts.wordpress.com/

Dear all

The group “Encounters and Conflictsin the City” calls radical research groups, critical workshops and researchers, students and collectives that are placed in, against and beyond the neoliberal university in an open gathering on the 11-14th June 2015 at the Department of Architecture at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece.

Through this gathering, we aim to create a public space of dialogue transcending divisions among academic and scientific disciplines and to critically approach the urban issues of the era of crisis, through a dialectic, intersectional and postcolonial approach.

The central questions that we wish to raise are two:

A. What is the role of knowledge, of the university and of researchers in the era of crisis?

The main axes of discussion we suggest are

- Social education and emancipatory movements in the universities

- Control and commodification of knowledge

- The role of the researcher

B. What are the critical epistemological and methodological tools for studying the spatial expressions of the ongoing crisis at multiple scales?

The main axes of discussion we suggest are

- Dialectic critical urban theory

- Intersectionality and urban space in the era of crisis

- Cultural and postcolonial approaches

If you would like to participate, please provide us with your abstract (300 words) by 1 March 2015 at the latest, to the following e-mail:

Participation is free and we will try to provide accommodation for as many participants as possible.

For further information we attach the extended calling. Moreover, you could visit our blog https://uniconflicts.wordpress.com/.

“Encounters and conflicts in the city” group

Costas Athanasiou, Eleni Vasdeki, Elina Kapetanaki, Maria Karagianni, Matina Kapsali, Vaso Makrygianni, Foteini Mamali, Orestis Pangalos, Haris Tsavdaroglou

Thessaloniki, 17-01-2015