Dear All,

Please see below a final call for papers for this postgrad-run conference
at University of Sheffield- sent on behalf of the organising committee.

Yours,

Glyn

*FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS*

*Reflecting on development: Global narratives, local realities*

*Keynote speaker: Diana Mitlin, Professor of Global Urbanism at the
University of Manchester*

Sheffield Institute for International Development is inviting papers for
the 6th Annual Postgraduate Conference, to be held on *Thursday 12th March
2015 *at the University of Sheffield. Our keynote speaker for the event
will be *Professor Diana Mitlin* *from the University of Manchester*.

The theme for this year’s conference is *“Reflecting on development: Global
narratives, local realities”*. This theme reflects our desire to think
critically about the use of development knowledge ‘on the ground’,
methodological issues of scaling up and the challenges associated with
global development priorities.

Accordingly, we are looking for papers that engage with theoretical,
methodological and practical issues in International Development through a
variety of topics, which include, but are not limited to:

   - Neo-liberalism, globalisation and the impact of the global financial
   crisis
   - Participation and empowerment
   - Mobilisation and social justice
   - Climate change, biodiversity conservation and sustainable resource use
   - Global health
   - Education and childhood
   - Technology and Development
   - Governance and institutions
   - Tourism and local economic development
   - Migration, refugees and internally displaced people
   - Human rights
   - Cities of the Global South
   - Knowledge construction

The conference will be organised into closely related panels, each
consisting of up to three presentations of 10-15 minutes in length followed
by an open forum. We also envisage interactive sessions during the day (for
example 3 minute theses, an ideas fair and a practical workshop). Active
dialogue will be promoted between postgraduates at different stages in
their research – building a greater understanding of research at all levels.

*Call for Papers*

*If you wish to present a paper, please submit an abstract of 250 words *to
the organising committee (*[log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]>*) with the subject heading ‘SIID
Conference Abstract’ *by Friday 30th January 2015*. We welcome submissions
based on completed manuscripts and work in progress. There is a small
charge of £15 for all presenters and participants.

*Best Paper Prize*

We are delighted to be repeating the prize for the best paper at the
conference. Sponsored by the international peer-reviewed journal *International
Development Planning Review (IDPR)* the best paper from the conference will
have the opportunity to be published – subject to the normal peer-review
process but supported by SIID staff and IDPR editor, *Dr. Daniel Hammett*.

The full Call for Papers, and more information, is available on the *SIID
webpage*.

Yours,

Vidya, Chris, Sarah and the SIID team

SIID 6th Annual Postgraduate Conference Organising Committee

--
Dr Glyn Williams
Department of Town and Regional Planning

<http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/trp>