*Second call for papers, apologies for any cross posting*

Call for Papers: A One-Day Conference
Narrating Archives: New Historical Geographies in Scotland
Hosted by the Institute of Geography, Edinburgh University.

This one-day conference aims to provide a forum for Scottish
postgraduate students, early career researchers, and academic staff
working in the field of historical geography. The aim is to discuss
current research themes and developing ideas in historical geography,
and to share current work and experiences.

Historical geographers are accustomed to telling history from
fragmentary evidence. Here we look to explore how we bring together
fragments to create coherent narratives, weaving stories from partial
remains -- whether pieced together from archives or told from ruins in
the landscape. This conference hopes to explore the how of historical
geography.

Our intent is to encourage discourse among Scotland's distinctive
group of historical geographers. Submissions are welcome from
historical researchers in other branches of the humanities and social
sciences. We invite papers exploring topic areas such as:

Problematic Histories:
What opportunities arise when sources are missing, conflicting, or
fragmentary?

Navigating Archival Spaces:
How do an archive?s origins affect its use and interpretation?

Working Historically Beyond the Archive:
How can non-traditional sources and approaches enliven research?

Narrating Fragments:
What stories can we tell from remains in the landscape or from
personal testimonies or other evidence.

Papers addressing research at any stage, including works-in-progress,
are welcome. Contributions from postgraduate research students, and
early-career researchers are particularly encouraged. It is expected
that papers will be 15 minutes + 5 for questions, so that the day will
leave time for collective discussion and social interaction.

Please register to attend and submit abstracts of 200 words or less at
the following link:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/narrating-archives-new-historical-geographies-in-scotland-tickets-14571061437

Abstracts are due on 6 February 2015. Please contact
[log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask] with any
questions.

Thanks,

Richard Sobolewski and Anne Peale.

--
Richard Sobolewski
PhD Researcher

Institute of Geography
School of GeoSciences
University of Edinburgh
Drummond Street
Edinburgh EH8 9XP

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.