Hi, I'm running the same system as you, and took a look.

I think it comes from where you're launching coot from, and whether or not
coot can access the ccp4 library from that location. I usually launch coot
from the terminal, but when I boot from the desktop icon and then fetch the
EDS coords, I get a similar error when I try to refine residues (though not
point atoms). Booting from my working directory (which has local ccp4
files) or from ccp4i directly, I don't have any issue refining after
fetching the same structure/map.

I'm sure someone who knows how permissions and file structures work better
than I do can explain en even more depth, but you probably want to look at
where you're launching coot.

Shane Caldwell
McGill University