Hi Jacob,

It seems reasonable for your straight line case that the two would be equivalent. I would guess though that as the function to be fitted against becomes more complex (e.g. a rectangular hyperbola in enzyme kinetics) it would be advantageous to have more points of the independent variable measured a fewer number of times (assuming you measured each one enough to get a reasonable estimate of the experimental error). Another reason I can think of to measure more points less frequently is so you can detect possible deviations in the data from the expected function (there might be a peak in the middle of your straight line for some reason). Looking forward to reading other responses!

Philip