Dear Izuok,

1. There are different metrics you can look at in order to know on how much
anomalous signal you can rely: CCano, ΔFano/σΔF, and ΔFano/F, In the CCP4
study weekend in Nottingham last weekend, Prof. Janet Smith said that for
them it was the last one, ΔFano/F, the one working better as an overall
estimate of the anomalous signal. Otherwise, you can look at the XDS output
and see where the CCano drops below 0.3, or where the SigAno drops below
1... that should give you an idea. Otherwise put your mtz through Phenix
Xtriage, it will output a good analysis of the data as well as reccommend a
resolution cutoff for anomalous resolution.

2. I don't really know... well if you are working with a protein, there
might be sites (Cys residues) where Hg would be more likely to be found...
But I am not sure here... I would use as a first guess same number of sites
as of Cys residues... but I am not working with proteins so I'm just
guessing... probably there is a better way.

All the best,

Almudena

--
Almudena Ponce-Salvatierra
Macromolecular crystallography and Nucleic acid chemistry