Hi Tobias,

You most definitely do not need a built-in emitter for your system to work.  Instead you use the little emitter "temple" that comes with a set of the glasses.  In Windows, the emitter can be driven via USB, but for Linux it will need to be driven by the 3-pin stereo connector that plugs directly into your Quadro-class graphics card.  You can just place the emitter anywhere that the glasses have a clear line of sight to while you are wearing them.  I usually pick directly underneath the screen.

The ASUS VG278HE (without built in emitter) is in stock over at Amazon.

Cheers, Jim