Hi Jacob,

It seems reasonable for your straight line case that the two would be
equivalent. I would guess though that as the function to be fitted against
becomes more complex (e.g. a rectangular hyperbola in enzyme kinetics) it
would be advantageous to have more points of the independent variable
measured a fewer number of times (assuming you measured each one enough to
get a reasonable estimate of the experimental error). Another reason I can
think of to measure more points less frequently is so you can detect
possible deviations in the data from the expected function (there might be
a peak in the middle of your straight line for some reason). Looking
forward to reading other responses!

Philip