American literary culture is an awful lot more open and writers there know all poetic endeavour is carefully defined. Overhere some are more equal than others in a much more subtle way. Honesty is not viewed as a virtue on these two islands in any sphere. Everyone claims to be egalitarian yet amongst the literati we see some superb capitalists.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
To: BRITISH-IRISH-POETS <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed, Jan 14, 2015 03:18 PM
Subject: Re: Northern

Note that Pierre is saying that there's more  discussion of the quality of l'extreme contemporaine here than in Britain, not that there's a whole lot of it. There isn't. I think a third factor at play is that among practitioners and critics alike there's not much agreement about what constitutes the good and the not so good.

Mark