Dear all

Just a quick follow up re my post a while back about copyright in student photos taken by an agency.  Thanks to everyone who replied and apologies I didn’t have time to get back to everyone individually.

Gilman and Soames, who seem to have a presence in lots of school and university archives, guard their copyright rigorously. Following advice from another university archivist I have managed to strike an agreement with them.  I will provide them with scans of some images they don’t have, in return for a copyright agreement from them allowing me to use photos from my archives which are their copyright.  This is for “in-house purposes” such as exhibitions, brochures etc, attaching to catalogues, but NOT to supply to enquirers, who must be directed to the Gilman and Soames website where they can purchase a copy.

Panora Ltd, London – a great outcome!  I traced a large Panora deposit to Manchester, where the archives were able to supply me with the copyright holder – Fraser Portraits of Dorset.  Coincidentally I had already had contact with Mr Fraser re copyright in Fraser photos when producing a 50th anniversary exhibition at my children’s school, so I had high hopes of him being amenable, and he was! One email later and I have permission to copy any Panora photographs I hold, as long as the Panora logo remains clearly visible.

Here’s an abridged version of the  “Dummies Guide” I wrote for myself / in-house, using Tim Padfield’s bible.

Copyright in photos taken by a photography agency

Photos are artistic works.

They are not covered by the “fair dealing” copying granted to libraries and archives.

Copyright in year group type photos lies with the photographic agency, eg Gilman and Soames etc.

BUT:  Duration of copyright is NOT the same as ownership of copyright.

The duration of the copyright is dependent on the life of the photographer, NOT the continued existence of the agency.

If the identity of the photographer is known, duration is for the life of that individual PLUS 70 years.

If the photographer is truly unknown, even after reasonable enquiry, duration is for 70 years from the year in which the image was taken.

Best wishes

Phaedra

Phaedra Casey

Archivist

Brunel University London Archives

Kingston Lane

Uxbridge

Middlesex UB8 3PH

01895 267095

My usual hours of work are Mon – Thurs, 9am to 2.30pm.