Hello
Please ignore my last e mail - did not realise Kathleen sent it through network.
Lx

LESLEY WOOD
Research Professor
Faculty of Education Sciences
(Potchefstroom Campus)
NORTH-WEST UNIVERSITY
POTCHEFSTROOM
South Africa
Co-editor: Educational Research for Social Change.http://ersc.nmmu.ac.za
Tel +27-18-299 4770
Mobile:  +27 082 296 9202
Fax+27-18-299 4788
Fax to e mail:0862386933
http://www.nwu.ac.za

Vrywaringsklousule / Disclaimer: http://www.nwu.ac.za/it/gov-man/disclaimer.html
>>> Lesley Wood <[log in to unmask]> 2015/01/29 09:20 AM >>>

Dear Kathleen
In the event of my chapter not being accepted for book, can I send it here? I have not heard about chapter yet.
Lx

LESLEY WOOD
Research Professor
Faculty of Education Sciences
(Potchefstroom Campus)
NORTH-WEST UNIVERSITY
POTCHEFSTROOM
South Africa
Co-editor: Educational Research for Social Change.http://ersc.nmmu.ac.za
Tel +27-18-299 4770
Mobile:  +27 082 296 9202
Fax+27-18-299 4788
Fax to e mail:0862386933
http://www.nwu.ac.za

Vrywaringsklousule / Disclaimer: http://www.nwu.ac.za/it/gov-man/disclaimer.html
>>> Kathleen Pithouse-Morgan <[log in to unmask]> 2015/01/29 09:13 AM >>>

Dear colleagues
This is a reminder of our invitation for abstract submissions for a special issue of the Journal of Education on "Academic autoethnographies: Becoming and being a teacher in diverse higher education settings".
Abstracts (350 words) are due on 6 February 2015. Abstracts should be submitted as an email attachment to: [log in to unmask]
Invitations will be sent to selected authors by the 6 March 2015, requesting full manuscripts by 7 May 2015.
Please see the Call for Papers below for further information.
Kind regards
Daisy Pillay, Inbanathan Naicker, Kathleen Pithouse-Morgan
(Guest editors: School of Education, University of KwaZulu-Natal)

Journal of Education http://joe.ukzn.ac.za/Homepage.aspx
Call for Papers: Edited Special Edition
To be published December 2015
Academic autoethnographies: Becoming and being a teacher in diverse higher education settings

Guest editors:
Daisy Pillay, Inbanathan Naicker, Kathleen Pithouse-Morgan
(School of Education, University of KwaZulu-Natal)

"Neither the life of an individual nor the history of a society can be understood without understanding both." - C. Wright Mills (1959, p. 3)

Autoethnography is a self-reflexive research genre that combines elements of autobiography and ethnography. The focus is on understanding wider socio-cultural and political contexts and meanings through the autobiographical 'self'. Autoethnography is concerned with producing creatively written, detailed, local and evocative first person accounts of the relationship between personal autobiography and culture (Chang, 2008; Grant, Short & Turner, 2013). While Simon considers autoethnography as a methodological starting point for researching writing from within practice relationships to encourage in-depth description of personal experience, Ellis, Adams and Bochner (2010) highlight the weaving of reflexivity throughout the process and content of autoethnographic writing.

"Academic autoethnographies: Becoming and/or being a teacher in diverse higher education settings" draws on a contemporary concern with writing autoethnographically to invite others into a privileged and otherwise unexposed view of the inner and outer workings of the life of a higher education teacher (Simon, 2013, Ellis, 2004). The themed issue will foreground higher education teaching through narratives of the academic self. Each article will offer an autoethnographic portrayal of becoming and/or being a teacher in a variety of higher education settings. The narratives will recount life-changing, intellectual and emotional experiences and insights gleaned over different socio-political eras in South Africa and internationally. Focusing specifically on academics' lived perspectives through creative methods such as metaphor drawings, artefact retrieval, self-interviews, collage inquiry and self-observation will generate a textured, entangled understanding of the academic self.

As editors, we seek to push the boundaries of autoethography as a non-traditional methodology within research on higher education. This special issue will raise debates about the potential of autoethography for facilitating cultural understandings of the academic self and others, its transformative agenda for researchers and readers, as well as its potential to bring about new learnings through the recognition and healing of social, political and historical scars.