Andy,

Activation and Deactivation of the task is relative to baseline. Thus, I'm
not sure how you can model the deactivation of baseline.

Claiming XB smells like A is more of a psychological or activity of
individual neuron question, not an fMRI question. The best you can say is
the the BOLD response of smell is not significantly different from each
other. You can also say that XB and A activate the same voxels. You can
test the similar by doing a spatial correlation or applying other
similarity metrics using voxels as the individual measures. The first steps
are probably showing that there are no differences between XB and A AND
that both XB and A activate the same areas. If either of these are untrue,
then the BOLD response patterns are different.