That’s right. The last thing we need is more journals in this area. The editorial and review resources are already stretched. I like the style of JASSS; it is relaxed but rigorous, and low cost. peter

From: News and discussion about computer simulation in the social sciences [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Flaminio Squazzoni
Sent: Thursday, 4 December 2014 10:41 p.m.
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SIMSOC] JASSS "Scope"

Der Piper,

thanks for tyour suggestion.

Personally, I believe we have a lot of journals that revolve around complexity, complex systems, computational social sciences, social simulation etc. On the one hand, again, I insist on the fact that JASSS frequently publishes technical and epistemological/methodological papers, not only concrete applications of computer simulation. On the other hand, it is not so difficult for authors of this type of papers to find already established, highly reputated outlets for their contributions. Typically, authors of JASSS articles publish also in: CMOT, ACS, PLoS ONE, AAMAS, Complexity, Physica A, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, JEBO, Ecological Modelling, Social Science Computer Review, Social Networks, Synthese etc. Someone even publishes in top "general" journals, such as Science, just to say.

Therefore, I believe the publication landscape is already quite rich to cover all our interests. This makes me a bit sceptic about the idea of establishing a JASSS B.

Thanks for the contribution to the discussion.

Best

Flaminio

Hello all, please forgive a newcomer for asking a simple question: would starting a new journal address the concerns mentioned in this discussion? In other words, is it not time for JASSS B?

This would provide a venue for articles that are falling outside of JASSS' current scope, and (as long as the aims of the new journal are well defined) would not interfere with JASSS' proven effectiveness at covering the topics within its scope. While running a new journal would require more resources, JASSS is already dealing with a surfeit of submissions, and this could alleviate some of that pressure.

Piper Jackson
Post-doctoral Research Fellow in Complex Modelling
IRMACS Centre · Gerontology Research Centre
Simon Fraser University

--

__________________

Flaminio Squazzoni
Associate Professor of Economic Sociology, University of Brescia

President of ESSA-European Social Simulation Association
Head of GECS-Research Group on Experimental and Computational Sociology
<http://www.eco.unibs.it/gecs>
Chair of PEERE <www.peere.org>
Department of Economics and Management
University of Brescia