From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Kenward
Sent: 18 December 2014 15:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Volunteer internship in research communications

Now now, Jo. I got shouted at for saying that.

Those new to the long and contentious saga on unpaid internships might find it informative to dig back into the PSCI-COM archives for examples of people who see the point and offer paid internships.

Here are a few from the past three or four months:

####

Association of Medical Research Charities (AMRC)
“full time, 35 hours a week, and we are paying the London living wage - £9.15 an hour.”

####

Communications and Evaluation Internship Salary: £15,978 - £19,350
Contract Type: Fixed Term - 12 Month
Contract Hours: Full Time
Closing Date: 4 January 2015
NERC is offering a 12 month internship to help support the evaluation and monitoring of activities undertaken and dissemination of learning from this evaluation to mark NERC’s 50th anniversary during 2015.

####

“News & Information Office of Oxford University is seeking a paid intern to support the work of media managers covering research stories in health, medicine, mathematics and the physical and life sciences”

####

“List members may be interested in a paid internship opportunity for a Research Communications Officer at the medical research charity Ataxia UK.”

####

The British Library, St Pancras, London
Temporary Internship for 4 months
Salary is – 8.80 per hour (London Living Wage)
Full Time (36 hours per week over normal business hours)

####

“List members may be interested in this one-year post for a communications intern at the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)”
Carbon Brief (www.carbonbrief.org<http://www.carbonbrief.org>)
Salary £22972

####

Research and graphics internship
“Carbon Brief (www.carbonbrief.org<http://www.carbonbrief.org>) is looking for an intern to help us experiment with graphics, social media and other web-friendly ways to complement the news and analysis we publish.”
“This is a six month internship paying the London living wage”

####

With a history like that, from a range of diverse organisations, including several charities, is it any wonder that some of us get huffy when someone comes along seeking a free ride?

Whether or not these all qualify as internships, or are really short-term contracts is not the point.

Anyone posting “job opportunities” here that are unpaid can expect to be on the receiving end of less than welcoming comments from those of us who believe that this is a pernicious, and now possibly illegal, practice. These examples show what is possible.

Oh, and congratulations and gratitude to these organisations. May their interns thrive.

MK