Perhaps we should not be too concerned about the ethnicity of who benefits as individuals and who does not from DRE and other activities (such as production of report) that are meant to improve mental health services - and these services are for everyone.  The DCP report “Understanding psychosis and schizophrenia” is meant to help and guide service users and professional working in mental health services, and from what had been said at the launch of the report and on blogs, white service users and some clinical psychiatrists find it a great advance. In fact I too agree that the report says much that is useful to many people - but it ignores that our society consists of many different groups and in the case of diagnosis of ‘schizophrenia’ black people are adversely affected and there has been a vast literature exploring why.  It’s as if BME people do not exist and do not have needs and problems that are specific to them - perhaps mainly because they are seen as a different ‘race’ - i.e. because of racism. In fact I think that when this DCP report does refers rather obliquely (paragraph 6.3) to the fact that ‘schizophrenia’ is diagnosed  more often in ‘migrant groups’ of ‘African and African-Caribbean origin’ the report play it all down as a problem - appears to have not bothered to look at the large literature exploring this issue of ‘over-representation’ and gives false information about this issue so that racism is not (according to the report) implicated. (The report says wrongly without a reference that the ‘rates in their home countries are generally similar to those in the UK’ - it seems the all-white authors of the report think that all black people have ‘homes’ in other countries - implication being they should go where they come from!    [In fact if the authors had looked at the literature they would have found that the over-diagnosis is not in ‘migrant groups’ (as the report says) - most recent migrants being white people such as Polish people - but more so among black people born in UK even when compared to black people who were migrants;  and the rates among black people in the West Indies is lower than that among white people in UK and much lower than among black UK.]

So, I agree with Paul’s contention that that our MH systems seem to exclude people ‘born into the body politic’ (by which I assume BME service users who are experts by experience and professionals - black and white - who have worked out ways of improving practice over years of application)  and those who challenge poor practice (in addressing race and culture I assume - again, whatever their ethnicity).  What seems to have happened is that there is an exclusion of black voices and what are seen as ‘black issues’ and exclusion of people seen as not worthy of being part of British society. Re DRE, my view is that the Inside Outside report which preceded it did try to address racism but the DRE (although called ‘Race Equality’) changed the issue to one of ‘culture’ and so the strategies were about engaging ‘different cultures’ and the approach of empowering BME groups (of Inside Outside) was changed to engagement of cultural groups. This was pointed out to Kamlesh Patel at the time but he did not listen but instead resigned from leading it and proper leadership never emerged etc. etc. leaving individuals at grass roots struggling to do whatever they could.

Best wishes,

Suman

Suman Fernando

WEBSITE: http://www.sumanfernando.com