Dear friends and colleagues,

Please find attached the December 2014 Newsletter of our ISA Visual Sociology (WG03) Working Group. This is our 9th edition and the first one for a new editorial team. We received many submissions over the past few months and we are delighted to share some of these with you. They represent just a few of the diverse approaches to visual sociology in our Working Group. The entries in the attached newsletter come from Argentina, Norway, Poland, India, and England and include photographs and short essays on visual research, visual sociology, methodological innovation, and blurred boundaries between cultures, ethnicities, and nations.

This issue also contains an article entitled “Visual Sociology at a Turning Point” from our new president, Valentina Anzoise who begins by looking back to the July 2016 ISA Conference in Yokohama Japan and ahead to the next ISA  Forum in Vienna, Austria, in 2016. And we continue a tradition from past newsletters with a “Getting to Know You” column that introduces you to one of our members; in this issue, the focus is on Elsa Oliveira, our new WG03 Treasurer.

We are also very pleased to publish three prizewinning essays and photographs from the 2014 Rachel Tanur Memorial Prize (RTMP) Competition. This is a biannual prize administered by The
Social Science Research Council (SSRC, based in Brooklyn, New York) and funded by a grant from the Mark Family Fund for the Rachel Tanur Memorial Prize for Visual Sociology. The prize recognizes students in the social sciences who incorporate visual analysis in their work. It is named for Rachel Dorothy Tanur (1958–2002), an urban planner and lawyer who cared deeply about people and their lives and was an acute observer of living conditions and human relationships. The next competition is in 2016 and we will publish details on this in forthcoming newsletters.

Finally, we include a series of calls for submissions on varied aspects of visual sociology in special edition journals, seminars, and conferences.

We welcome newsletter submissions from around the world. If you feel inspired to submit an article, photograph, photo essay or teaching tips for the next edition, the deadline is June 1st,  2015. We are usually full before the final submission date; if you wish to be guaranteed a place in the next edition, please email us in advance. Submissions are encouraged from anybody doing visual research or visual sociology, although priority is given to members of ISA Visual Sociology Group (WG03) and their students. We are especially keen to publish the work of graduate students and early career scholars. Please send your submissions or questions to:  [log in to unmask]

A big thank you to the outgoing Editor of the Visual Sociology Newsletter, E-J Milne who established and nurtured this newsletter project for the past four years - and who shared her wealth of expertise with us as we prepared this edition.

For those of you who celebrate this season, happy and restful holidays.

With best wishes

Andrea Doucet, Editor, Brock University, Canada
Gary Bratchford, Deputy Editor, Manchester Metropolitan University, England