From: Nina Steele [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 17 December 2014 15:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [HERFORUM] Academic research projects and HERs

Dear all,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to share their experiences with regard to the provision of data for academic projects and the re-integration of resultant data.  In particular I have 3 principal questions:
1) Do you charge for the provision of data?  If so, would you charge the rate normally applied to commercial contractors for a standard HER search?
2) Do you charge specifically for re-integrating the resultant data at the end of a project?
3) Would you consider applying additional charges for extra services such as advice at start-up regarding database design (to facilitate re-integration); more intensive interrogation of HER database/collections/associated resources to add value to research, or; on-going liaison with researchers?

We have been recently mulling these questions over and would be keen to see a more standardised approach to academic projects - they often seem to be somewhat removed from HERs and in our opinion this shouldn't be the case.

Many thanks,

Nina

Nina Steele
Uwch Archaeolegydd Cofnod yr Amgylchedd Hanesyddol - Senior Historic Environment Record Archaeologist

Gwynedd Archaeological Trust
Craig Beuno
Ffordd y Garth
Bangor