Dear All,

Russ Evans, whose death was announced yesterday on this
list, was a stalwart supporter of the British Geophysical Association
(BGA) and founder of this list, in 1997.  He and I were co-owners for
many years.

He was treasurer from about 1992 until 1997 of what was then called the
Joint Association for Geophysics (JAG), which in 1997 was renamed the
British Geophysical Association.  When the Geophysical Journal of
the Royal Astronomical Society (now Geophysical Journal International)
decided to cease publishing the abstracts of the UK Geophysical
Assembly, Russ from 1992 edited the "JAG Newsletter" partly as a vehicle
for the abstracts so that they could be cited (JAG obtained an ISSN
for it), a help for student presenters yet to publish a paper.

I will leave it to other list members to pay tribute to Russ' other
activities and achievements, but I thought it important to let
everyone know a little of his contribution to the BGA and this list.

Regards,
Sheila Peacock,
list co-owner.