De: Metamorphic Studies Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Em
nome de Robert Tracy
Enviada: 18 de dezembro de 2014 19:16
Para: [log in to unmask]
Assunto: Re: Rock Nomenclature

Better yet, also give us some modal data. I think a sensible rock name would
be both simple and non-genetic (as Pavel suggested) but also would depend on
what the relative proportions of the minerals are. For example, a
garnet-hornblende-epidote-phengite-rutile-quartz rock would have a very
different name if it were 60% quartz than if it were 60% hornblende or 60%
phengite. I also have some doubt as to the utility of even providing a name
for an obviously polygenetic "assemblage" like this one.

Bob T.

Dr. Robert Tracy
Professor of Geosciences
Associate Department Head
Director, Museum of Geosciences
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg VA 24061-0420
540-231-5980
540-231-3386 (F)

On Dec 18, 2014, at 1:11 PM, Nuno Leal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Santanu:
> Can you shows us some photos of observations under the microscope ?
> Best regards
> Nuno Leal

with the assemblage garnet+hornblende+epidote+phengite+rutile+quartz. This
assemblage which became stable during peak metamorphism yielded P-T estimate
of ~ 15-16 kbar,~ 590-610 °C. If this assemblage is evaluated with
metamorphic rocks that are related to metamorphism during subduction
initiation, the closest rock name that comes to my mind is garnetiferous
amphibolite. However, in the strictest sense, the rock, in the absence of
plagioclase cannot be an amphibolite, if we use amphibolite in facies sense.
At the same time, the estimated P-T range lies in the eclogite facies, also
supported in part by complete elimination of plagioclase. However, with
omphacitic clinopyroxene being absent, the rock is also not an eclogite in
the strictest sense. One additional information in this regard is that Na in
the protolith is completely partitioned in Hbl, which shows substantial
presence of Na in the M4 site, apart from its general occurrence in the A
site.