Dear all

Melanie Cooke and I have been asked to write an article on 'teaching culture to ESOL students'. We would like to collect a set of sound-bites from ESOL teachers for this. If you would like to contribute to this completely non-scientific exercise, please send your response to these questions:

Do you teach British culture in your ESOL classes?

Can you give us an example?

As you can see, we haven't defined the concept of 'culture'. This is deliberate because we are interested in how ESOL teachers themselves define the term.

Please send your comment to myself and Melanie:

[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]

Many thanks

James

Dr James Simpson

Senior Lecturer (Language Education)

School of Education

University of Leeds

Leeds LS2 9JT

T: +44 (0)113 343 4687

E: [log in to unmask]

W: www.education.leeds.ac.uk/people/staff/academic/simpson

*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]