There was no pressure at all from the vendors for in more
routines or extended versions of the existing C routines.

Dick Hendrickson

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 7:38 AM, Robin Vowels <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
From: "Van Snyder" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:30 AM

Even though Don Amos had published ACM TOMS algorithm 644 in 1986, with
remarks to improve it in 1990 and 1995, there was sentiment that
extending beyond real arguments and integer orders would have resulted
in the proposal being rejected as too much work for implementers.

Shouldn't have.  Implementation would have been straightforward,
and the algorithms were published.

The real [no pun intended] question is whether they should have been included at all.
They aren't something everybody uses every day.
Seems to me to be better to include then in your program as subroutines.

Algorithm 831, to compute modified Bessel functions (K and I) for pure
imaginary order and positive real argument appeared in 2004.

Algorithm 877, to compute cylindrical Bessel functions (J, N, H(1) and
H(2)) for complex order and positive real argument appeared in 2008.

---